Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Places for Good Beers in Sri Lanka?

Happy to report I%26#39;ve confirmed my travel plans to Sri Lanka in January for 2+ weeks. Some highlights will be: Yala, Uda Walawe, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Horton Plains, Adam%26#39;s Peak, Sinharaja and more...





My question now becomes, can any recommend some local beer gardens / bars to enjoy a wide selection of Sri Lankan beers? Not just Lion Stout, but also Three Coins and other lesser knowns?



Places for Good Beers in Sri Lanka?


I do not know about beer but I would look up Yala National Park before visiting there. The british foreign office advise against all travel there. It may be the same for Canadians I would expect.



Places for Good Beers in Sri Lanka?


Thanks Vicki...not sure why I posted this in the Waikkal forum! Meant to go in the general Sri Lanka forum....



No worries about Yala, the Canadian gov%26#39;t isn%26#39;t as paranoid as the UK. There is an advisory, but Yala is on the same level as Colombo....



Wilpattu on the other hand is off limits (and closed anyways...)




Hi, I am assuming that you will be spending some time in Colombo, in which case you can catch %26#39;happy hour%26#39;(typically between 6.30pm and 8pm or so)at any one of several hotel bars. I am thinking specifically of the Echelon Pub (Hilton), Cheers Pub (Cinammon Grand) or the Terrace at Galle Face Hotel (this last is by far the most scenic as you can sip your beer while enjoying an Indian ocean sunset). Alternately, there is also a pub called %26#39;Inn on The Green%26#39; around the corner from the Galle face Hotel (typical English pub feel, no view). All of these places have a good range of local beers (from both Lion and Three Coins) and are 50% off regular hour crazy prices. Alternately, stop by any Keells or Cargills grocery store and head for the liquor section, buy a few cans and stash them in your bag. Once you check in to your hotel whereever that may be, put your cans in the minibar to chill them, and enjoy!





Jayaka




We went with some locals to some nice place nr callutara it was a natural pool and waterfalls we did drink three coins and carlcberg special brew made a nice change from Lion.Price was good due to our Sri Lanlan friends I will try to find out more the were abouts this weekend when I call them.




Great stuff.



Thanks guys....yes, I%26#39;ll be spending time in Colombo my first day and last days. Is there still ';Bison'; beer in Sri Lanka?

No comments:

Post a Comment