Friday, April 13, 2012

troubles

I am after advise, please, we are travelling to sri lanka on May 5th and stopping at the Hotel Dolphin. I am a little worried over the recent escalation in the fighting etc could someone please advise me. I dont really want to change the holiday but am slightly concerned.



troubles


Hi there,





As always for the last 20 years the troubles are far from the tourist zone. See recent threads like





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297896-i9471-k248…





so no reason to worry around Dolphin or any of the day tours or multiday inland tours you%26#39;d consider from there.





All the best,





%26lt;Erik%26gt; %26amp; [Sandya] - counting down to the next visit early March



troubles


Hi,





The fighting in Sri Lanka has been going on for more than 25 years now. Right now the fighting is going on in far northeast corner of the island where the Sri Lankan army is fighting to get control over the last 500 or so sq km that are under LTTE control.





The south and southwest of the island is (and only to a minor degree has) been influenced by the fighting.





Tourist areas and tourist have never been directly targeted by the LTTE, but it is always good to be cautious, i.e. stay away from government buildings (army camps, police stations etc.) and large gatherings.





If you do a search on ';security'; in Sri Lanka Forum, you will find quite a few posts from members that have recently visited Sri Lanka.





I have visited Sri Lanka 40+ times over the last 30 years and I have never felt unsafe, and I will go back again in mid March.





Hans




Hi there....





100% agree with my two colleagues here, nothing for you to feel concerned about at all, just do as you would do in any country that you would travel too on holiday, and you will have no problems.





Also looking forward to my next visit to my favourite holiday destination in March.





Regards



Dave




I appreciate your concerns regarding safety as I felt a bit aprehensive before we went last year, we decided that we would see how we felt when we got there and would adapt our trip to fit the concerns that we had when we were there.



I tend to be on the cautious side and can honestly say that I never felt I was in any danger at all, we did all that we wanted to do and apart from the precautions that you would take if you went anywhere, even in this country, you should be fine.



We did register on Locate on the Foreign Office website, but I think that%26#39;s a good idea wherever you go as it does give a backup if you encounter any problems, so my advice would be to sensible about where you go and what you do and have a wonderful time as it a great place with so much to offer.



Regards



Jean




Thanks guys, we cant wait to go , It is our 25th wedding anniversary this year so we wanted somthing a little special

No comments:

Post a Comment