Saturday, April 21, 2012

Itinerary Review - Anything Missing?

Below is a brief bullet point list of places I%26#39;ll be visiting on my upcoming trip. I%26#39;m quite looking forward to the diversity of Sri Lanka. As thsi is my first visit I could use some advice if I am missing out on visiting any must-see Parks (for wildlife) or other attractions. I have skipped out on beach time as I am heading to Maldives afterwards.





- Colombo and city sights



- Anuradhapura / Elephant Orphanage



- Mihintale



- Polonnaruwa



- Rock Fortress of Sigiriya and Dambulla Caves



- Kandy / Temple of the Tooth Relic



- Nuwara Eliya (by train from Kandy)



- Waterfalls and Tea Plantations



- Galle / Welligama



- Kukule Ganga



- Sinharaja



- Adams Peak



- Hortons Plains



- Uda Walawe - 2 days



- Yala - 2 days



Itinerary Review - Anything Missing?


Hi there,





It seems rather complete, but would take 14 days at least to do properly. Also I hope this isn%26#39;t the sequence; e.g. Adam%26#39;s Peak is much better done from Hatton (near Eliya) than from the south side, and of course Horton Plains also fits on that side before going to the Galle-Weligama south coast.





Hope this helps a bit,





%26lt;Erik%26gt; %26amp; [Sandya]



Itinerary Review - Anything Missing?


Thanks Erik!



Hmm, yes I didn%26#39;t quite post the last few items in %26#39;order%26#39; properly. I%26#39;ll have 16 days in total....only about 1 week before I take off!




Hi,





Since you have mentioned about wildlife I would like to add some excursions so that depending on your favorites you can choose some of them.





路 While you are in Polonnaruwa area you can visit Kaudulla and Minneriya parks especially for elephants.



路 In Kandy, You can visit Udawattekale sanctuary for some bird watching etc.



路 In Nuwara-eliya, Gallswayland forest for bird watching, dull blue flycatcher, Sri Lanka Yellow Eared bulbul etc, can be observed.





Nishantha




Thanks Nishantha for the extra comments. I%26#39;ll take a look at those parks particularly near Polonnaruwa.





For now, I must investigate the risk of malaria for this journey!




Hi,



Just to add a comment about Udawattakele Forest reserve in Kandy.



I%26#39;ve walked through this reserve a couple of times and enjoyed it but as a woodland walk not for any birdlife. We didn%26#39;t see any birds. They are there alright , up in the canopy but not where they can be seen.



You also might not like to get too close to the machine gun nests where the forest looks down on the Temple and the soldiers there have their guns trained constantly on the temple approaches. Can be a bit spooky although they were friendly and chatty to us.



Rod.




Not sure about other travelers but I have been to Sri Lanka quite a few times and have never taken tablets. I%26#39;ve been living in Asia for 16 years and gave up on them years ago.



Westen doctors will tell you to take precaution.



Might be best to ask other people like RodB but for me I wouldnt bother



Happy Travels



Regards



Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment