Thursday, April 19, 2012

vaccinations?

Got the old chestnut of a question.





Going to Sri Lanka nad the Maldives in March/April 2009.





stopping at Kalutara and looking at traveling around Kandy area.





We have been to the GP and the nurse gave us the hepatitis A only. informed us that Typhoid and Malaria are low risk and therefore we didn%26#39;t need to take anything for it, just insect repellent for ourselves and our rooms.





Reading several sites/forums you get conflicting reports.





My question is, what do you out there recommend we take? Can I insist the GP/Nurse, that I have these vaccunations regardless of their advice.





Ultimately I would rather be safe than in pain and sorry!





Thanks in advance



vaccinations?


Hi there,





She is totally right about malaria. No risk in the areas you mentioned.





Typhoid: is recommended in Lanka if you stay longer than 2 weeks. Infection through contaminated water for which indeed there is a quite low chance in tourist resorts/restaurants. (In Maldives no risk as all water is desalienated/purified in the resorts, fully drinkable.)





So no STRONG need to go back to the nurse, for Typhoid there might be some need...





All the best,





%26lt;Erik%26gt; %26amp; [Sandya]



vaccinations?


Thank you Erik





So in your opinion, no real worry with Malaria, but you would recommend Typhoid to be on the safe side!







I%26#39;m just getting people opinions, I won%26#39;t be going off to the quacks saying ';so and so said ......';





In no real rush in one way as I%26#39;m blooming frightened of needles at the best of times!





Just want to be safe.




While I think about it, what insect repellent (brands etc) do you nice folks out there recommend we use on ourself and for our rooms and where the best place to obtain them?




HI monkshabit,



Over the years, I%26#39;ve used two seperate GP surgeries for my jabs and they%26#39;ve both advocated the same ones and supplied them on the National Health scheme.



Hepatitua A.



Typhoid.



Combined Diphtheria/ Tetanus.



Polio





When I%26#39;m out there, from experience the Autan brand products seem to be the most effective for me.



I don%26#39;t take any antimalarials but as well as the repellant, I sometimes use a coil in the room. Usually lighting the coil about dusk and keeping everything closed up afte that. By the time I return after an evening out, I expect the room to be clear.



I have , rarely, used a room spray which I%26#39;ve bought out there. Can%26#39;t remember the brand but I know there were two available , one for walking bugs and one for the flying variety. Make sure you get the right one.



I should add, I stay in guest houses . Most are as good as hotels but occasionally some are out in the wilds a bit and a lot more insect prone.



Rod.






Hi there....





Agree with both Rod and Erik about the jabs ! and Malaria too, i have had the jabs so need to keep them up to date ! until copmletely immune, thankfully not for next trip.







Use AUTAN like i do and i do NOT get bitten, as for the rooms?, well do not leave doors and windows open after sunset and you should not have a problem, presumably you are staying in a hotel in Kalutara?, well rooms should be air con there, and mozzies don%26#39;t like cold air, so keep above mentioned closed, but do cover up with AUTAN if outside after sunset.



Same advice applies for Kandy.



Bets place for AUTAN??, well type into search box on E-Bay !, good deals there.





Regards



Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment