Thursday, April 19, 2012

Airport advice..

We are staying in Bentota throughout our stay in Sri Lanka but I have just noticed that our flight home leaves at 9.20am from Colombo. Am I right in thinking that we would need to be at the airport 3 hours before and it takes around 3 hours to get to the airport from Bentota?





If so, can anyone recommend somewhere to stay near to the airport for a night so we dont lose a nights sleep. Would somewhere like Negombo be ok? Or an airport hotel?





Ta!



Airport advice..


Hi,



Yes you are right in the time estimations regarding getting back to the airport for your flight.



I allways stay in Negombo on my last night but , I like negombo ans usually make a point of staying a few days there.



At least in negombo, you know you are only about 20 minutes trafic free minutes from the airport.



Plus, for your last night , if you stay in Lewis Place or The Poruthota road, you know you%26#39;ll have a good choice of restaurants, smal bars etc, plus plenty of late night sourvenir shops if there%26#39;s any last minute shopping to be done..



Just say what grade of hotel you want there and you%26#39;ll get plenty of recommendations.





I know Eril regularly mentions a hotel just around the corner from the airport , which, I think, he said, runs a free shuttle... Only trouble with that idea is you only have the hotel, not all the other shops, restaurants, bars and stuff like that.



Rod.







Airport advice..


Thanks, our budget is around 50 Euros a night...we need 3 rooms though.




Hello again,



The place I%26#39;ve been staying at regularly in Negombo for the last few years is,



The Oasis beach Resort ( %26amp; fish and lobster restaurant ),



31 Poruthota Road,



Ethukala,



Negombo......Tel; +94-(0)-31-2279022





igougo.com/lodging-reviews-b195523-Negombo-O鈥?/a>





I think they are asking 3000 rupees a night on the net but I usually pay 2000 for a double room, including breakfasts.



It%26#39;s not a flash hotel but it%26#39;s clean, tidy, friendly , good pool and restaurant. Air con if you want it although I don%26#39;t use it.



If you want a cheaper place, then there%26#39;s a guest house which is very popular nearby.



The Silver Sands,



229 Lewis Place,



Negombo....Tel; +94-(0)-4873624





http://www.silversands.go2lk.com/





Silver Sands doesn%26#39;t have a pool but the restaurant has a good reputation. Rooms are a bit tired but clean and the place is really friendly.





Thats just a couple that I%26#39;ve used. There are lots of places along this stretch , so many that you wouldn%26#39;t need to pre-book and that way you can walk in and check out the rooms etc before you accept.





One to warn against.. Although it looks very good on first inspection, The Catamaran beach Hotel has a terrible reputation for food, security and cleanliness. I%26#39;ve known , personally of several thefts from rooms there. Don%26#39;t be tempted by that one.



Rod.






Cool, I shall check those out and consult with the family :)




How do you book the Oasis one? We want to book as it is Sri Lankan New Year when we are travelling...




Hi,



In spite of my nagging him , the owner still hasn%26#39;t sorted internet booking or a web site so I%26#39;m afraid it%26#39;s down to the telephone.



I%26#39;ve never bothered to pre-book. I walk in and ask for a room but I work on the premise that, if a room isn%26#39;t available, I know there are plenty of other places that have.



At new year, I can understand you wanting to prebook.



I do have a fax number for them,



+94-(0)-31-2279338



You could always give that a go.



Rod.




Thanks, I dont have a fax though haha Ill have a look around..




Have managed to bag three rooms at Silver Sands, has good enough reviews on here and gives us peace of mind knowing we have a bed for the night.





Many thanks, once again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment