Friday, April 13, 2012

Help with Yala & choosing a beach location to end our trip

Hello



I%26#39;m looking at a trip to Sri Lanka in March and have an outline itinerary of:



2 nights near Sigiriya



2 nights Kandy



2 nights Tea Trails



2 nights Yala



4-6 nights South Coast beach (number of nights will depend on return flight)





I have some questions and would appreciate any advice or help.



In Yala, we have been offered a campsite in the Park as an option. The cost breakdown isn%26#39;t available but I suspect this is a much more expensive option than staying at Yala Village. Yala Village looks great, has good reviews and would seem to be more than adequate to base ourselves in for a couple of nights to explore the park and surrounding area. Any views on whether we%26#39;d be missing out by not taking the camping option? We%26#39;ve done ';luxury tent'; in Africa and loved it, but I%26#39;m trying to shave some cost off the trip and this would seem one place we can do that.





I am also struggling to decide on a beach location. We were offered Weligama Bay Resort - again it gets pretty good reviews but I%26#39;m more drawn to Mirissa having read around various sites. Does anybody know the Mandara Resort in Mirissa? Or any ideas on alternative accom? We%26#39;re a couple in late 40%26#39;s and like to relax and read/walk at a beach hotel. We also like to treat ourselves to spa treatments if available but this isn%26#39;t a must have. Good food is important too. We like a good standard of accom but on a varied trip like this we%26#39;re happy to mix up lower cost and luxury accommodation.





Thanks in advance for any help! I am trying to get this booked now as I%26#39;ve been procrastinating far too long!





Help with Yala %26amp; choosing a beach location to end our trip


Hi,





You should reconsider your visit to Yala. UK FCO advise against all travel Yala National Park and the areas around it. This means your travel insurance will NOT cover (even for minor incidents) if you go there.





fco.gov.uk/en/鈥ri-lanka





As you are staying at Sigiriya an alternative to Yala could be Minneriya National Park



srilankaecotourism.com/minneriya_national_pa鈥?/a>





The park has a decent wildlife with many elephants.





I would definitely choose Mirissa over Weligama. Secondhand news told me that raw sewage is going into the sea at Weligama.





Hans



Back in Sri Lanka from mid March



Help with Yala %26amp; choosing a beach location to end our trip


Thank you for your reply. I%26#39;m disappointed to hear that about Yala, it looked like a good park to visit. We were interested in trying to see leopard as much as elephants! (Having failed to see leopard on several trips to Africa).





Ok I will give that some more consideration. I know from reading this board that others say Yala is safe, but the lack of travel insurance if we go there is a risk we need to take in to account.





Yes, I read about ';pollution'; at Weligama which is what put me off that part of the coast.




Hi again,





I happened to visit Yala last year in early April (before I joined TA and got the knowledge that Yala is off limits - also by the Danish Government). Unfortunately I didn%26#39;t see any leopards.





I found the area (Tissamaharama, Yala and Kataragama) safe and quiet and the jeep drivers/guides complained that so few tourists visited there. At that time I thought as long as the Government of Sri Lanka says the area is safe and the park is kept open (only block 1) there were no problems going there. Luckily I didn%26#39;t have any incidents while there. Being without a valid insurance can prove very costly.





Hans




It%26#39;s a dilemma! My husband wants to visit Yala, but he%26#39;s convinced he%26#39;ll see leopard there!



To be honest, there is so much else to see and do in Sri Lanka that if we don%26#39;t need 2 nights in Yala then we%26#39;ll take extra time elsewhere.





The research is taking some time! I%26#39;m on the verge of booking a bog standard tour with Kuoni, but putting our own trip together is more fun!




Hi





Ive just returned from my 4th visit in the last 3 years. This year we did visit Yala and were very luck to see a leopard and lots of other animals. But as the experts say on previous mail its up to you as we were warned are insurance was not valid. Going back again in July but this time giving it a miss.



Have a fab holiday, we always do.





Maria




In the past year I haven%26#39;t seen anything dangerous and have had nothing but wonderful experiences around Tissamahara but you have to make your own call - I think it%26#39;s worth the risk.





Mirissa is definitely the beach to go to - beautiful bay, no touts, great seafood on the beach at night - magical. I don%26#39;t know the Mandara though have been to Mirissa several times, however I%26#39;m just a cheap guesthouse lady and there are plenty of them. You could opt for Paradise Beach Club which is right on the beach or its partner Mirissa Palace if you want something more upmarket. There%26#39;ll be no trouble getting a room at any place iof you just arrive as its very quiet this year.




Hi,





As far as I know, camping inside Yala National Park not allowed now due to the security reasons. The nearest park you can do camping is Bundala National Park.





I personally like camping site inside the parks than staying in hotels. It is a great experience than staying in hotel. Yes in Yale you have a higher probability of observing Leopard, sloth bear etc.





I am not sure about from what company you quoted the price for your camping. Try to get a quote from Eco team too. Their website is www.srilankaecotourism.com





Normally camping is little expensive than hotels simply because they have to arrange everything especially for you in the jungle.





Nishantha




Thanks for the replies.





We%26#39;re still pondering options!





Sky News ran a big story on the fighting in Sri Lanka yesterday (there was a protest march in London)and I can see why the tourist areas would be quiet this year.





We have had a quote within budget from Kuoni based on



4 nights Sigiriya (Vil Ulyana)



2 nights Kandy (Earls Regency)



2 nights Nuwara Eliya (Tea Factory)



7 nights Saman Villas or the Fortress





Plus car and driver for 9 of the days.





I am wondering whether to go with Saman/Fortress (maybe even both, on a 3/4 day split). I know Mirissa would be a better beach but I%26#39;m thinking that it%26#39;s our first trip to Sri Lanka and the reality is we can%26#39;t go everywhere we would like to! Plus having Saman Villas as our last stop gets us closer to the airport to start the long trip home.



Also, my husband is insistent on having a week ';chill out'; time - if it were up to me we%26#39;d be touring for longer!





Decisions, decisions....

No comments:

Post a Comment